Intro Pricing: $225 per student
Our clinics begin at Frenchtown Pond or Harper’s Lake, where we start with an equipment overview and develop a sense of underwater comfort. We introduce basic whitewater kayaking skills, such as the wet exit, stern draw, reverse and forward sweeps, rudder, forward stroke, hip snaps, and T-rescues. In the afternoon, we head to the river and paddle a Class I – mellow, moving water – section of either the Blackfoot or Clark Fork River. (Our choice here is dependent on water levels.) On the river we focus on river safety and awareness, boat control, eddy turns, ferries, and the Eskimo roll. The following day we apply everything we learned prior and paddle a section of the Clark Fork or Blackfoot Rivers. Missoula, Montana offers some of the best instructional rivers in the world, making it the perfect place to learn to kayak!
This foundational clinic includes the following skills:
- Kayak outfitting
- Wet exits
- Body positioning
- Beginner stroke progression
- Boat control and edging
- Hip snaps
- T-rescues, swimming, and self-rescue
- Reading rivers and hydrology
- Basic safety and awareness
- Eddy turns, peel-outs, and ferrying
- Scouting rapids
- Paddling through class I-II whitewater
- No experience necessary.
- Good attitude and overall health required.
- All clinics start in flat water.
- Private clinics are available anytime (with a minimum of 4 people) for all ages.
- ZTS provides our students with the most progressive equipment in the industry.
- Our clinics enjoy a 4 to 1 student-teacher ratio.
2019 Dates: June 1/2, June 15/16, July 13/14, August 3/4
What You Bring
- River shoes (anything but flip flops)
- Swimsuit/synthetic layers (NO cotton!)
- Dry clothes
- Reusable water bottle
- Sunglass retainer
- Ear plugs
What We Provide
- Spray Skirt
- Wetsuit (if needed)
- Neoprene coat (if needed)
- Booties (if needed)