*please call to schedule a private lesson
River surfing in Missoula MT is legendary! The ZTS river surf session will give you a solid introduction to the sport of river surfing. Each lesson is customized to your ability level and goals. The Clark Fork, Blackfoot, and Lochsa River all have great surf spots throughout the year. Whether you are a total beginner, or just want to brush up on your river skills, we can help you get dialed in and shredding in no time. If your looking for a full day on the river, check out our River Surf Safari trips.
We start each lesson with an equipment overview, swimming techniques, board control, river etiquette, river awareness, river hydrology, and river signals. We always maintain a low student to teacher ratio which creates a fun, rapidly progressing learning environment for our students. Location and waves are level dependent and can change on a daily basis.
Missoula is a growing river surfing community and we welcome you to be a part of it!
- Lessons are typically 2-3 hours
- Expect to enjoy lots of swimming!
- You must be in good physical condition
- Location depends on river levels/experience
- All equipment is provided
- Meeting location will vary
- Must be able to swim in Class I-II rapids
- No experience is necessary
What You Bring
- Sturdy footwear (Chaco, Keen-style sandals, or old tennis shoes. Anything but flip-flops!)
- Quick-drying or breathable clothing (no cotton!)
- Dry clothes for after
- Reusable water bottle
- Towel for changing
- Extra cash for tip and merchandise
What We Provide
- Surfboard (foamies for beginners)
- PFD (personal flotation device)
- Quick release leash
- Surf instructor/guide